Spring Kindergarten Round Up

State law requires that children be five years old by August 15 to enter kindergarten. Kindergarten Roundup is required for all kindergarten students who will be attending any Clinton City School. It is usually held near the end of April.  Please check our website or social media outlets for dates and times.

Students who reside in the Clinton City limits should go to their zoned school to register.  If you need to request a zone exception, go to the school of choice to fill out the necessary paperwork to apply.  Approval letters will be mailed over the summer.

Non-city residents must come by Central Office to complete a Transfer Application and pay a non-refundable $25.00 registration fee.  This process usually begins in mid-April. You are encouraged to attend the Roundup at the school you wish to attend to complete the registration process.  However, this does not guarantee acceptance.

Clinton City Schools utilizes a 10-day phase-in period and an abbreviated schedule (11:30 a.m. dismissal) at the beginning of the school year for kindergartners. Parents will receive a schedule showing when their child will be in school during these first school days. Students are divided into small groups and the groups are rotated in and out of school during the first 5 days. During the second 5 day period, all kindergartners attend each day but are dismissed at 11:30 a.m. During the phase-in period, any students that were not pre-registered in the spring are screened to determine their readiness for kindergarten. At the end of the phase-in period, all kindergarten students attend a full day of school every day for the remainder of the school year.

It is important for parents to register their children for kindergarten during pre-registration if possible so schools can plan for the number of children to ensure an orderly beginning of the school year.

Documents parents should bring for registration:

  • Proof of birth

  • Social Security card (if available)

  • Tennessee Department of Health Certificate of Immunization*  

  • Proof of residence **  

  • Current proof of custody of the child if parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried.


    *To get a Tennessee Department of Health Certificate of Immunization, parents should contact their child's health care provider or the Health Department to schedule an appointment for a kindergarten physical. At that time, any additional shots that may be needed will be given to meet state requirements for entrance into school and a Certificate of Immunization will be issued


    ** Proof of residence is a current utility bill - electric, gas, or water - with the parent's name and address printed on it. If parents have not been living at the residence long enough to have a utility bill, a lease on a house or apartment will be accepted, or you can get a statement from the utility company showing you have started service at the specific address.


    Only a custodial parent or legal guardian may register the child. The custodial parent or legal guardian must show proof of guardianship by presenting a copy of custody papers or court order.